The ultimate rich eggy-soaked, easy to bake grain free bread, for a comfort food breakfast feast! This will bring back memories of lazy Sundays and being a kid!
- 7 whole Pastured Eggs, (5 for bread, 2 for egg batter)
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Raw Honey
- 3 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract, divided (2 tsp for bread, 1 tsp for egg batter)
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Lemon
- 1/8 tsp pink salt
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Milk (for egg batter)
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil (for egg batter)
- [Directions to make Grain-Free Sweet Bread Base] Whisk eggs, then add in vanilla, lemon juice, honey, softened coconut oil, coconut flour, baking soda, sea salt.
- Line a 8" square casserole dish with parchment paper, then spoon in the bread batter.
- Bake at 350* for 25 minutes. Test with a toothpick, bake a few minutes longer if needed. (Toothpick will come out clean when ready)
- LET COOL. It will be delicate when still hot. You can set it in the fridge to chill faster, or just let it cool on the counter. Store in the fridge overnight, if made a day ahead.
- [When Ready to Eat: To make the Egg Batter]: Once fully cool, cut the coconut cake/bread into 4 equal sized squares. Then slice each of those squares the OPPOSITE way, to create 2 slices of “bread”. Just like cutting a hamburger bun or bagel in half. You will end up with 8 slices of “bread” in total.
- Whisk together 2 eggs, coconut milk, vanilla extract (spices) to make an egg batter. Next, dredge the bread squares in egg batter, and soak up the egg batter into each side. (If you need more batter, mix up a 3rd egg.)
- Melt oil in a pan or on a griddle, over medium heat. When the oil is hot, pan fry the toast on each side for few minutes, until nicely golden brown. Top slices of French toast with real maple syrup, homemade low carb berry sauce, and/or coconut whip recipe here. (Or you can see the recipe in my breakfast ebook to make a Monte Cristo Sandwich.
Optional: To spice it up, add a little cinnamon, cardamom, & nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon almond extract to the egg batter mixture.